Friday 29 June 2012

What a [school] year! Here are some highlights

Balanced "full-time" course work through University of Calgary and teaching full-time.  Sounds impressive but if you read some of the course outlines you wouldn't think so.  Halfway to a Master's Degree!

First year as Grade 9 Team Leader (attending extra meetings, liaising between Grade 9 Team and administration, ordering supplies [the bane of my existence!], occasionally being teacher-in-charge of the building [not as exciting as it sounds], MCing showcase assemblies).  This wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.  Watch me next year as I actually get the hang of it.

Got to read with small groups of kids and see them progress exponentially.  Watching their confidence skyrocket was pretty cool.  There were way more giggles than tears.  By the way, did you know that Eric Walters' books are more formulaic than Shakespeare or Stephen King?  Maybe I could write some levelled adolescent novels.

Coached basketball without Randall.  Did you know that Grade 9 boys often fart during practice, especially morning practice?  I made them run laps based on how bad the gas smelled.  We still lost every game, but it's nice to give that opportunity to kids.  Next year, Grade 7/8 Girls.  I hope they have better control of their bodily functions.

GRADE 9 FAREWELL:  Working with parents and principal to take 120 kids to an amazing dinner and dance?  That was pretty amazing.  Yesterday we started preparations for next year so I guess it's here to stay.  I'm good with that.

Finally overcame fear of Provincial Achievement Testing.  If our province wants to spent millions on a 2-part three hour test, have at 'er.   I'm going to keep doing Writer's Workshop, reading conferences, Credos, film and recording opportunities, cross-curricular connections and having fun.  


No comments:

Post a Comment