Sunday 10 June 2012

First Cooking Post - Risotto and Salmon

Tonight I made risotto and broiled salmon for supper.  I always make this risotto recipe with the splash of white wine that it claims it doesn't need.

I am a big fan of making something complicated (the risotto) with something easy (the salmon).  There are a few reasons for this.

1)  flavours.  If I dusted my salmon with some complicated spice mixture then it might be weird with the cheesy and smokey risotto

2)  time management.  Yes, today is Sunday and I could make something complicated.  Inevitably that would create more dishes and draw out the drama of the cooking.

3)  calories.  Yes, salmon is delicious with aioli and if I was having it with a salad, I probably would do some kind of sauce.  But I'm not.  I'm having it with carbs, bacon and cheese.

I also decided that after making risotto many times, I could improvise.  I added some celery to the chopped onion and garlic.

Mise en Place

If you have ever made risotto you know how important this is.  This is what mine looked like.



Cooking Photos


Special risotto spoon.  I am pretty sure this is why my risotto is amazing.


Toasting the rice with the onion and celery.


Salmon with salt, pepper and olive oil.



Risotto with broth.


Final Presentation




I realize it is  just before 5pm and this is a grandparent time to eat.  But I am hungry...  all I ate today was breakfast at the Lazy Loaf and Kettle and some cherries.  So it is time!



No comments:

Post a Comment