Sunday 10 June 2012

Types of Writing I do

Being a classroom teacher I sometimes try to model the different writing techniques I encourage my students to do.  I outline essays, structure paragraphs, develop characters and settings.  The problem is once this instruction is over my efforts are pushed aside and I find myself cheerleading my reluctant writers.  If I could just get them to realize that paragraph minimums don't necessarily allow the full idea to be presented, I'd be happy.

When I come home at night I am a student through the University of Calgary.  I am enrolled in an M. Ed. program (almost done the first year!).  To be honest, when I signed up for the "Integral Curriculum" cohort I did not realize that my advisor would be leading my class through guided meditation during an online lecture (yes... that actually happened).  Integral Theory is a little more than I bargained for - if you're interested look up Ken Wilber.  However, one recurring theme is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - which I subscribe to.  I am trying to remind myself that this is half over and it has made me think more deeply about teaching practice.  Both of those things are positive.  Anyway - the types of writing that I do as a student are discussion forums, summarizing, connections and every so often longer expository pieces.

What I like to write is narrative but there is just not very much reason for me to do this type of work.  I would do the work for the joy of it but right now my time and energy is dedicated to surviving teaching full time, keeping up with the readings for my graduate studies, completing assignments and having some kind of balance doing two things that I don't consider work - cooking and reading.

That's why I think a blog is a good compromise.   Manageable lengths in response to manageable subjects.  Let's see if I can keep up with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment