Thursday 14 June 2012

First Teaching Post - SMART Clickers

Okay, so last year I went to a series of workshops on SMART software and tools.  At that time, the SMART clickers were demonstrated in a few ways.  Most were cumbersome for someone who agonizes over setting up presentations (me) and who runs flat-out for ten months then sleeps for two (me).  I was reviewing some notes that I had taken at the workshops this week (okay, I couldn't sleep...) and remembered that I had jotted down "instant feedback".  Since I was working on Multiple Choice strategies and was out of ideas of how to keep kids engaged, I dug out our school's set of the clickers and copied my questions into a SMART document.

It worked!  The kids were intrigued.  I was able to gauge not only how many students actually got the correct answer by using the pie chart feature, but also was able to engage some in debating why two answers were in contention for being correct.

For mine I really didn't need the keyboard style clicker but was still able to use the primitive ABCD function just fine.  Some kids would have liked to enter their own names to participate to see who answered what, but I think the anonymity of it allowed more to participate enthusiastically.

All in all, not bad for a lesson taught on the fifth last day of classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment